One of my favorite blogs for inspiration is Happy Black Woman - I love her exercises & the things she's shared about her life. Recently she posted 10 journaling questions to help review your year, which I thought would be great to post as I close out 2012. Of course I waited, until December 31 to do this! So here are the questions - and my thoughts:
What I Want to Remember About 2012
- What was the most valuable lesson you learned this year?
- This is hard! I've learned so much this year, about life, myself, other ppl, etc. The most valuable lessons I've learned this year have been about myself, the type of person I am & what I truly want out of my life. I learned that its ok to care about what people think about me, to be ok with living my life on my own terms, and to take chances.
- What was the biggest personal milestone you reached this year in your relationships, health, finances, education and/or lifestyle?
- Relationships - my friendships with some people have gotten stronger, while friendships with others have completely deteriorated which really hurt me. I started the year in love & felt that I had met The One, only to have my heart-broken a few months later.
- Health - I really let myself slack in this area, so my biggest milestone is recommitting to a Primal lifestyle
- Finances - I got a new job with a 5% raise!
- Education - The School of Life has taught me lots this year
- Lifestyle - I've truly enjoyed my life; being able live it & enjoy it in the way that suits me has been great.
- What professional accomplishments (at work or in your business) were you most proud of this year?
- I'm extremely proud of stepping out my comfort zone & my technical training to take my new position. Its a new industry, new position, more responsibility & a big change. But I'm so glad that I took that step, especially given how unhappy I was in my previous position. Its been a big change & a big learning curve but its great.
- What was your favorite family/friends moment from 2012?
- Over the year I've had a lot of times with my friends, I'm truly blessed to have such a great crew of friends here in Minneapolis. My Christmas at home this year with my family was great, especially since I got to spend a few days with my twin nieces, who are an absolute joy (even though they got me sick!)
- What was the best book/blog/song/movie/restaurant/city/country/etc. you discovered this year?
- OMG too many to name! Probably my favorite new restaurant in Minneapolis has to be La Chaya, which has an amazing brunch. Way too many books, blogs & music from this year to name tho.
What I Want to Leave Behind As I Enter 2013
- Which personal development area(s) did you make the LEAST progress on this year: health, finances, education, relationships, family, work and/or lifestyle?
- Health, finances & family :-(
- What promises (to yourself or others) did you break in 2012?
- I really wanted to see my family more, but I only made it home twice, in May & December.
- What arguments/gossip/hurtful comments, if any, did you participate in or make this year that you wish you could take back and/or apologize for?
- Does it make me a bad person if I say I don't want to apologize for anything? Granted, I rarely gossip about non-celebs. And I tend to say what I mean, so if I make a hurtful comment to someone, its cause I'm done with them & want them to know. Right now, nothing that I regret comes to mind.
- What opportunities, if any, did you miss out on in 2012 because of fear or procrastination?
- I dropped the ball on my business idea & basically put it to the side, I could be further along if I had continued to work on it.
- What did you do in 2012, if anything, that was out of alignment with your values?
- I focused too much on certain areas of my life instead of striving for balance. That's the theme for 2013 - balance between the different facets in my life, in my relationships, between work & my personal life, etc.