Last Sunday was the Super Bowl and I was never so happy to see it come and go! I was...interesting to live and work in a city with the Super Bowl - I didn't partake in as much stuff, it was freezing, and I read later that some of the expensive parties were a ripoff. But my commute is back to normal, so yay! Now the Winter Olympics are in full swing, and I'm watching all the sports that I only see every 4 years - luge, biathlon, speed skating, curling, etc.
High of the week: Got some REALLY great news - can't share details just yet but hopefully I will be able to share in next week's post.
Low of the week: YOU GUYS, I had an ORDEAL this week that proved to me that changing your name is bullshit - I mean, I knew it was bullshit but this week proved it.
I discovered I have an old 401k from a job from 5yrs ago that I never did anything with. I'm a real adult now, so I figured I'd finally do something with it. Except I can't because the account is under my maiden name which is no longer my legal name. So I need to get it changed...which means I have to contact the Benefits center for my old company from 5yrs ago and get them to change it.
In order to do that, I either need to sit on the phone for 30+mins or I can try to recover my login details for the online system. I manage to recover my sign-in ID (yay!), but then I struggle a bit trying to reset my password. Manage to finally get that done and login...and then discover that I can only change address/email/phone online - to change my name I have to call. So I hop BACK on the phone and wait the 30+mins and get a very nice young man, who tells me they have to MAIL me a form to fill out. Luckily I can email it back to them with proof of my name change and then they will change it and then finally it will change with Fidelity.
If I had kept my damn name this wouldn't have been an issue. It was my choice to change my name, and I do like it, but I don't like the extra hassles that changing my name has caused, especially for stuff that I had completely forgotten about.
Anyway, how was everyone's week???
What I read this week:
- A Brief History Of The C-Word - The Establishment
- How a Nazi Made the Ballot in Illinois - The Atlantic
- "Saturday Night Live" Has Never Had An Asian Woman Cast Member — And That Needs To Change - BUST
- Winter sports are for rich white people - The Outline
- Being A Late Bloomer Is Harder Than It Looks - MEL Magazine
- Will Smith, in a Total Dad Move, Re-creates Jaden Smith’s Music Video for ‘Icon’ - Vulture (This is so delightful!)
- 13 Black-Owned Small Businesses to Shop Right This Second - Man Repeller (bookmarked half of these!)
- How People Die in America - Splinter
- Yoga in America Often Exploits My Indian Culture—But You May Not Even Realize It - SELF
- The Worst, Most Morally Bankrupt Ads of the Super Bowl - Deadspin
- Mary J. Blige Sees Herself Anew - New York Magazine
- How Katie Roiphe Completely Missed The Point Of The #MeToo Movement - NYLON
- Kevin Hart Attempts To Scale Trophy Podium, Denied By Much Larger Man - Deadspin (and I totally thought Kevin Hart was someone's child!)
- HQ Fans Are Pissed And Deleting Their Apps After Discovering The Company Is Getting Funding From Peter Thiel - Buzzfeed (another reason to delete the app)
Current pursuits: All things interior decorating! I'm trying to learn as much as I can, and look at all the pretty things on IG/Pinterest to get ideas and inspiration. If you have sites/tools that you love, please send them my way!