We've survived another week! This week was very busy but good - it finally warmed up to above freezing, and it's kinda sad that I live in a place where that feels like an achievement.
High of the week: I mentioned the weather already, but I'll mention it again - it's amazing how 35 degrees can feel balmy after two weeks of subzero temps! Also I'm addicted to watching Nollywood movies on Netflix! It all started when LM chose "The Wedding Party" for us to watch on a random Friday night, and from that point I was hooked! I really loved "Fifty", "When Love Happens", and "The Wedding Party".
Low of the week: Phi has had the sniffles for a few weeks now, and it's been a drag for all of us. She's also getting some new teeth :-( Also I'm working on something big (at least big for me) and I'm very worried about it working out - if you don't mind, send up a prayer for me, or just send me good thoughts and positivity.
- I've gotten back into knitting over the last six months, and I'm REALLY into it again. I've set a goal of knitting at least 12 projects this year, each one different or a new technique for me to learn. I also finally got over my fear of doing hats! I bought 4 Craftsy courses last year and I'm currently working through the Steeking class and making a tablet case. I'm also doing a toddler scarf for Phi because I couldn't find one in the store.
- I also started reading again! I didn't do much reading in 2017 beyond news/blogs which is sad, so I've resolved to get back into fiction. First up is Ready Player One - I'm about 100 pages in and I love it! I love this view of the future, and how it looks back at the 1980s which such nostalgia.
- I'm still working on figuring out how to take more "me time". I know I can because LM is a supportive partner and amazing dad, I just struggle with saying "I need to take a few hours and write at the coffee shop" or "I'm going to go have a glass a wine at the wine bar down the street"
Stuff I read this week:
- I heard this story on NPR as I was driving home from work on Friday and my mind was blown - Before 'Roe v. Wade,' the women of 'Jane' provided abortions for the women of Chicago
- As a freelancer writer, I related so hard to this piece in The Cut - Writing for the Awl Was the Best Mid-Career Decision I Ever Made
- This AV Club interview with Samuel L Jackson is DELIGHTFUL - Samuel L. Jackson on Nick Fury, Mace Windu, and the power of a great wig
- Maybe Men Will Be Scared for a While - The Cut
- I'm not surprised by anything in this piece - Roxane Gay Exposed The Midwest Writers Workshop For Fatphobia On Twitter
How'd I do on last week's goals: I failed on all of them :-( I submitted one piece and that was it. I have made progress on Phi's scarf but it's not finished, probably won't be done until next week.
This week's goals:
- Finish Phi's scarf
- Bring coffee and lunch at least 4 days next week
Enjoy your week everyone!